A vegan broccoli soup recipe that is packed with flavor. We use healthy ingredients to create a creamy texture with an earthy, rich taste. Looks great on the plate with a beautiful green color and can be served with a sprinkling of toasted almonds over the top.
Overall, it’s a very easy to make great looking and flavorsome gluten free, vegan broccoli soup recipe. Try it for yourself today!
It’s widely known broccoli is low in calories and high in vitamins, it’s worthwhile knowing just how good it is for us. See more on the page Broccoli Nutrition Facts and discover the fantastic health benefits of broccoli on our page Do You Know These 10 Health Benefits of Broccoli?
- 2 leeks, rinsed and sliced
- 3 organic carrots, sliced
- 1 bunch of broccoli, organic, cut into bite size pieces
- 2 -3 stalks celery, rinsed and sliced
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled, cut into 1/2 inch chunks
- olive oil
- salt and pepper
- sliced almonds, toasted
- 1. In a frying pan over medium high heat, add sliced almonds and stir frequently. Toast the almonds for 5 to 10 minutes or until they brown up. Keep a close eye on them as they burn easily. Set aside to cool.
- 2. Boil a large pot of water with 2 tsp of salt. Add the broccoli and boil for 3 to 3 1/2 minutes. You want the broccoli to be fork tender but not mushy. Drain the broccoli and save the water. We will use it for our broth.
- 3. Pour 2 Tbsp of olive oil in a large frying pan over medium high heat. Add the leeks, carrots, and celery and sauté for a minimum of 20 minutes, stirring frequently. When done, let cool for 5 minutes.
- 4. Pour 2/3 to 3/4 of the cooked broccoli into a blender and add some of the celery, leek, and carrot mixture (mirepoix). Pour in enough broccoli water that you saved from cooking the broccoli so that you can puree the mixture.
- 5. Taste and add salt and pepper if needed.
- 6. Pour this into a pot and add the whole broccoli to it.
- 7. In a large fry pan over medium high heat, add 1 Tbsp. of olive oil and then the sweet potato. Saute until the potato is fork tender and slightly caramelized. To speed up the cooking process, cover the pan with a lid for a couple of minutes.
- 8. When the sweet potatoes are done, add them to the soup pot and stir. Garnish the soup with the toasted almonds and enjoy!
Other healthy broccoli recipes
- Healthy Broccoli Salad
- Roasted Shrimp and Broccoli Recipe
- Crustless Broccoli Cheddar Quiche
- Roasted Broccoli with Nutritional Yeast and Garlic
- Roast Broccoli with Chili Soy Dressing
- Broccoli and Chicken Chinese Stir Fry
- One-pot Pasta Broccoli and Peas
Thanks to Rockin Robin for her delicious vegan broccoli soup recipe. Here is her youtube instructional video.