So you probably know lemons are a rich source of vitamin C but do you know the many other health benefits of lemons? We have many delicious recipes on our site which use lemons, below you can find a list of 10 of the tastiest meals.
10 Health Benefits of Lemons
- 1. First of all and probably the most well known. Lemons are rich in vitamin C, boosting our immune system and helping with flu and cold like infections.
- 2. Lemons have powerful antibacterial properties. Lemon juice has been found to kill the bacteria of malaria, cholera, diphtheria, typhoid and other deadly diseases.
- 3. Lemons contain vitamin P (bioflavinoids) which strengthens blood vessels, thus preventing internal hemorrhage.
- 4. According to the American Heart Association (AHA), lemons may help lower the risk of ischemic stroke in women.
- 5. Antioxidants may help prevent the formation of free radicals that are known to cause cancer, although the exact role played by antioxidants in cancer prevention remains unclear.
- 6. Increasing iron absorption. Iron deficiency is one of the most common nutrient deficiencies in developed countries and a leading cause of anemia. Combining foods that are high in vitamin C with foods that are iron-rich maximizes the body’s ability to absorb iron.
- 7. High citric acid in lemon juice helps to dissolve gallstones, calcium deposits, and kidney stones.
- 8. Maintaining a healthy blood pressure. Studies on women who walked and consumed lemon everyday found that they had lower blood pressure that those who did not.
- 9. Lemon is a good alkalizing agent for the body, helping to restore balance to the body’s pH.
- 10. If you use the peel it contains the potent phytonutrient tangeretin, which has shown to be effective for brain disorders like Parkinson’s disease.
10 Recipes That Use Lemons
1. Lemon Garlic Baked Fish
A healthy choice for an appetizing and quick to cook meal is this simple lemon garlic baked fish recipe. It’s so simple even the cooking instructional video is only three minutes long. 🙂 Lemon Garlic Baked Fish
2. Healthy Lemon Chicken Indian Style
Tangy, healthy lemon chicken Indian style recipe with a zesty lemon hint. Tasty spices compliment the succulent marinade chicken. All you have to do is marinate the chicken in the fridge for one hour before cooking. Healthy Lemon Chicken Indian Style.
3. Healthy Grilled Halibut With Honey And Lemon
Healthy grilled halibut with honey and lemon, a delicious fish meal with a 10 minute cook time. Containing high quality protein and nutrients good for your heart such as omega 3 fatty acids. Healthy Grilled Halibut With Honey And Lemon.
4. Soft Lemon Cookie Recipe
Try this Soft lemon cookie recipe made with the zest of 2 lemons. A delicious snack that really keeps a sweet and tangy lemon taste. Soft Lemon Cookie Recipe.
5. Baked Lemon Pepper Chicken
Looking for a healthy and tasty meal with a super quick preparation time? Try this tasty Baked Lemon Pepper Chicken meal with an easy 5 minute preparation time and you will have a meal for all the family to enjoy. Baked Lemon Pepper Chicken.
6. Lemon Baked Salmon
Lemon baked salmon recipe that stays moist and keeps the flavors in while also being easy to cook. Give this a try if you’re wanting something succulent that looks great on the plate. Lemon Baked Salmon.
7. Healthy Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins
Light and flavorful healthy lemon poppy seed muffins that are both delicious and nutritious. Soft and light, these muffins are an amazing, healthy snack. This recipe will yield 12 sweet citrus flavored muffins, and the best bit? They only come in at 126 calories! Healthy Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins.
8. Lemon Garlic Chicken and Broccoli Bake
We have another meal that only takes minutes to put together. Really, try it for yourself and create a delicious piping hot lemon garlic chicken and broccoli bake. Lemon Garlic Chicken and Broccoli Bake.
9. Broccoli And Lemon Pasta
A simple and tasty vegetarian broccoli and lemon pasta meal using Pecorino Romano cheese. Vegan cheese can easily be used instead if you prefer. Broccoli and Lemon Pasta.
10. Vegan and Gluten Free Lemon Bars
Healthy version of an old favorite, these vegan and gluten free lemon bars are packed with tangy lemon flavor. A very easy recipe that makes a fantastic summer dessert! Vegan and Gluten Free Lemon Bars.
Amazing Lemon Peel Health Benefits
So you’ve got your lemons and maybe have even made one of the recipes already. Try not to throw that peel away though because Lemon peel contains about 5 to 10 times more vitamins than lemon juice! Visit our page that lists 6 amazing lemon peel health benefits.